burress_family

The Sound of Success

burress_familyBy Lindsey VanBlaricom

Connors State College (CSC) student Rebekah Burress decided failure to become a nurse was not an option. Before motherhood, Buress claims she was content with her job as a licensed dog groomer. After marriage and the arrival of her daughter Miriam, however, Burress decided to make something better of herself.”I know children whose parents have a college education are more likely to want one themselves,” Burress explained. “I want nothing but the best for Miriam’s future.”

Along with Burress, her husband Tyler enrolled at the same time. The couple wanted a successful future for their family. Starting college seven years after graduating high school was intimidating for Burress; but her inspiration came from watching medical professionals care for those she loved.

From those who helped her uncle fight pancreatic cancer, to her grandmother’s caregivers during a kidney transplant, to the hands that brought her child into this world, Burress admired the nurses she encountered.”From all these experiences, nursing was the only logical profession I could think of,” said Burress.

She wasn’t sure what to expect, and later found she was not very prepared for her demanding life. She worked full time in her grooming business, took 15 hours of classes, while keeping up with everyday household duties and taking care of her precious baby.Halfway through the first semester, she chose to close her business.

“This was a very difficult decision because my husband and I worked so hard for over two years growing our business,” said Burress. “I just knew if I wanted to get through school, that was the only option I had to make it happen.”Her husband supported her decision and her grades have proven to him that it was the right choice to make.

Burress is now in her fourth semester at CSC and will apply for the nursing program October 1. She works on the weekends and still struggles to find time to get everything necessary done.”The only way I have made it is because of my faith in Jesus Christ, and the love and support of all my family helping me with my daughter,” said Burress.

Together Burress and her husband support each other for a better future, even if they have to sacrifice today.”It’s not easy and there are so many times I cry thinking about how much time I am missing with my daughter,” said Burress. “But it’s all to build her a brighter tomorrow.”

Burress wanted to offer encouragement to other struggling parent/students.”I start every day with prayer and bible study,” said Burress. “I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me (quoting John 3:16, NIV Bible). It is like a reset button every day.”

“I know that school is only temporary,” Burress continued. “One day I will be able to help my husband provide for our family. We will both have great paying jobs, a retirement plan, and have a solid leg to stand on whenever insisting our children go to college.”Burress has been successful in her endeavors, and believes going back to school was a divine calling.

“I honestly believe that this is what God wants me to do with my life,” said Burress. “Not to toot my own horn or anything, but I have made straight A’s in college and have maintained a 4.0.”Burress conveyed her struggles, but encourages students to find a little faith.

“Toot your own horn, Connors students,” said Burress. “Let your success be heard.”

###