Banners hanging in the Krebs Angus Ranch stalls after a long day of showing.

Students Intern at Prestigious National Western Stock Show

Most college students like to spend their break by relaxing and spending time with their family, but these kids spent it taking care of ranch cattle and preparing some for the show ring. Over Christmas break, several of Connors ag students took an opportunity to intern for cattle companies at the National Western Stock Show in Denver. These students were hired by some of the more well-known companies in the industry, including IMG_0638Krebs Ranch of Gordon, Neb., Perks Ranch of Rockford, Ill., and Schenk Farm of Chickasha, Okla.

Spencer Miller, a freshman from Council Hill, Okla., interned for Perks Ranch and took care of their Hereford cattle. Whitney McCollum, a sophomore from Westville, Okla., and Katie Bullard, a sophomore from Wister, Okla., both interned for Krebs Ranch and worked with Angus cattle. Austin Gibson, a freshman from Morris, Okla., interned for Schenk Farm and worked with Shorthorn cattle.

These internships are important for students to obtain because it gives them experience in a real-world setting. Whether they were introduced to these internships by Connors or they were able to get it through family friends, the trips are very educational.
“I was very blessed to get the opportunity to work for Perks Ranch,” said Miller. “I’ve been around cattle my whole life, but I still learned a lot of good tips and tricks of the trade from people who are big in the industry.”
By Katie Bullard