Sophomore Receives Jelts Scholarship

Jeltz Scholarship editedConnors State College sophomore Tierra Blue was awarded the Wyatt F. and Mattie M. Jeltz Scholarship. The award was presented by Foundation Chairman, Dr. James Mosley. Mosley visited with Blue about the history and meaning behind the scholarship.

“Jeltz wanted to make a difference,” said Mosley. “Mr. and Mrs. Jeltz were black Oklahomans who devoted their lives to education, employment opportunities and community service. They were interested in assisting young people, particularly Black-Americans, to acquire an education and a better life.”

The applicant criteria put forth by the Jeltz Foundation includes: a 2.8 GPA, classification as a sophomore, and must display good personal character.

“We call faculty members and ask them about the scholarship applicants before awarding the scholarship,” commented Mosley. “The communication with the faculty gives us a feel that the applicant is displaying good character in the academic setting.”

Blue is currently studying Nursing and is excited about being a recipient of the Jeltz Memorial Scholarship, “I am happy to have it, every little bit helps.”

The Jeltz Scholarship Foundation was established by an endowment and is incorporated by the State of Oklahoma. The Foundation provides scholarships to assist students in paying college related expenses such as tuition, fees, room and board, books and supplies, loan repayment and more. Scholarships are awarded annually in February and October. Application deadlines are December 20 and August 15. Applications can be picked up in the Connors State College Financial Aid office.

By Ami Maddocks