Honoring Outstanding Students

Kendall Golden

DSC_0512Kendall Golden

Honors night at Connors State College is an evening that is dedicated for faculty to recognize outstanding academic achievement in the areas of business, agriculture, English composition, world literature, mathematics, psychology, and science. On April 15, the LLC Auditorium was packed with more than 150 students, parents, friends and faculty as more than 50 students received awards.

The event also recognized members of the CSC academic team, student government, President’s Leadership Class and Who’s Who Among Students in American Universities and Colleges. The ceremony wrapped up with the announcement of Mr. and Ms. Connors presented by college president Dr. Tim Faltyn.

The tradition of Mr. and Ms. Connors has its origins in yearbook royalty dating back to 1952, when both a male and female student were declared Con-Rah Queen and King. The king and queen, in 1952, were Harold Woodward and Wynema McGuire. From 1954 to 1964 the honored students were called “Joe College” and “Betty Co-ed”. The names Mr. & Miss Connors came into being in 1966 with Larry Steward and Leona Barnett. In the 1970’s, the Miss became Ms. Connors.

The 2013 awards went to Clay Carlson, Mr. Connors, and Kendall Golden, Ms. Connors. These two individuals were the 57th recipients of this award.

Golden will graduate from CSC and transfer to OSU in the fall. She maintained a 3.99 GPA, earning the Vice-President’s List distinction and Who’s Who Among Students in American Junior Colleges. A horticulture major, Kendall is an Agriculture Ambassador, in President’s Leadership Class, Phi Theta Kappa, and Aggie Club. In 2012, she earned FFA National Gold honors in the Specialty Crop Production proficiency area. A graduate of Morris High School, Kendall was her FFA chapter president, attended Washington Leadership Conference and earned numerous accolades, including: State FFA Degree, State Winning and National Gold Floriculture Judging Team and Individual, Chapter Star Farmer, Agribusinessman and Greenhand.

Carlson will graduate from CSC and transfer to either Kansas State or Colorado State in the fall. An animal science/pre vet major, Carlson currently serves as the Agriculture Ambassador president and is a member of Phi Theta Kappa and Aggie Club, as well as the CSC livestock judging team. One of 15 junior college livestock judgers nationwide, Carlson recently was selected to be a part of the 2012-2013 All-American Team, based on contest placings and GPA.

In high school, Carlson competed in the livestock judging contests at the National Western  Livestock Show in Denver, NAILE in Louisville, the American Royal in Kansas City, the National FFA Contest in Indianapolis, and an international contest in Scotland.

A graduate of Prairie High School, Carlson was president of both Student Council and National Honor Society, vice president of the Prairie FFA Chapter, was all-state in football, basketball, baseball, and track, as well as valedictorian of his class.