Bullard Represents Connors at Nigh Academy

Katie Bullard, sophomore, was selected by Connors State College administration to attend the 2014 Nigh Scholarship Academy in Oklahoma City, Okla. The academy was conducted Feb. 7-11. The purpose of this scholarship is to allow each of the two and four year higher educational institutions, both public and private, to select and honor one student each year to be called a Nigh Scholar. Each student is selected and nominated by their institutional president and receives a one- time $1,000 scholarship.
In 1999, former Governor George Nigh and his wife Donna, along with the legislature at the time, founded the academy. The program is directed by Carl and Glo Reherman. Together, they have directed for 14 years under the guidance of the former governor. The academy is an intense mixture of personal development sessions on expanding personal skills and understanding of leadership. The academy provides for all program and personal expenses. The scholarships are provided to the scholars at the conclusion of the five- day academy.
Each student was very specifically chosen based on their involvement and acts of leadership on their respective campuses. “I wanted to choose someone who shows exceptional work ethic in their involvements here at Connors” said President Tim Faltyn. Though it was a difficult decision, President Faltyn is very proud to have had an outstanding pool of individuals to select from. “It was a true honor to be chosen to represent Connors at such a prestigious event. It’s a pretty big deal to be chosen out of a couple thousand students,” said Bullard. “I can’t thank Dr. Faltyn and Dr. Ramming enough for this opportunity.
The program is directed by Carl and Glo Reherman. Together, they have directed for 14 years under the guidance of the former governor.
This year’s academy had a spectacular lineup of events. In the first few days of the academy, scholars engaged in joint discussions of past and present American politics. George and Donna Nigh gave welcomes and a presentation about their history in office and talked about significant accomplishments they achieved. They also attended an Oklahoma City Thunder basketball game with their scholars who were all recognized on the loudspeaker during the second quarter.
The fourth day, scholars toured and learned the building process of the Devon Energy Tower. The 50- story tower was completed in 2012 and is currently the tallest skyscraper in Oklahoma. Scholars got the opportunity to learn about the company and all it offers to its employees. “I’ve never really thought about Devon as a career choice, but after learning about the company, I’ve been inspired to maybe apply for an internship there. I never would’ve thought about it if I hadn’t attended the Nigh Academy.” said Bullard. Lunch for the day was provided by the Oklahoma State Regents for Higher Education and Chancellor Glen Johnson served as a speaker. To conclude the day, scholars received clearance from Tinker Air Force Base to tour a Boeing E-3 Sentry airplane. This plane is more commonly known as AWACS (Airborne Warning and Control System).
On the final day, scholars reported bright and early to the Oklahoma City Golf and Country Club to dine with the Oklahoma City Fortune Club for breakfast. A guest speaker from the Oklahoma Medical Research Facility presented an exceptional and informative speech on cancer research development that is conducted at the research station. At the conclusion of breakfast, scholars headed to the Capitol and where encouraged to meet with their respective representatives and senator, if they were available. For lunch, and the final event, the scholars ate with the Oklahoma City Rotary Club and were able to listen to the Denver Broncos Wide Receiver Wes Welker speak. Wes Welker is an Oklahoma City native and founded the Wes Welker Foundation that helps provide new sports facilities to Oklahoma City area schools in need of upgrades.
With 31 scholars in attendance, networking was the biggest part of the academy. “I got to personally know a student from every college in Oklahoma. It was one of the best and most fun ways to network.” said Bullard. The academy was designed to enable scholars to network with not only students like themselves, but also successful and large industry leaders in Oklahoma.
Katie Bullard, sophomore, is an Agricultural Communications major and will be graduating in May. She is an active member on the Beef Show Team. She is involved in the President’s Leadership Class, Phi Theta Kappa, Agricultural Communicators of Tomorrow, Aggie Club, and has served as an Agriculture Ambassador. She was recently accepted into the University of Arkansas where she plans to continue her degree in Agricultural Communications.

Bullard(right) pictured with other students selected to attend the Academy